- The 2004 celebrations in Brussels marking the enlargement of the EU. (Photo: European Commission)
The original EEC of Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg was enlarged as follows:
- By 2007 Romania and Bulgaria may join the EU.
- Turkey was provided with pre-accession money from 1st December 2004 and will have its position as an applicant country reviewed at the EU summit in December 2004 where an accession plan should be adopted.
- Croatia applied for membership on 21st February 2003.
- Macedonia (FYROM) applied for membership in March 2004.
- Although [w norway]Norway[/W] voted against a negotiated membership twice, in 1972 and 1994 referenda, the Norwegian Christian People’s Party Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik has referred to a possible new Norwegian referendum before and after new negotiations with the EU, with possible membership before 2010. In February 2003, the Norwegian delegation to the EU Parliament foresaw a new referendum after the next general elections in 2005.